From ship to shore

An account of a girl who lives on the high seas.

February 28, 2009

Hawaii....over a month ago

Today I’m spending a lovely indoor day in the ships’ Library playing librarian for In Port Manning.
We are finished with our first segment LA-SYD and onto the next! I thoroughly enjoyed the South Pacific portion of the journey. Sure, we didn’t have the best weather (rain, loads of it) but warm rain still beats snow and cold rain in Vancouver. Our first stop, Hilo, turned into a Walmart morning adventure hauling a mini-fridge to the room and sparking many passengers to think that indeed, I was really bringing even the kitchen sink. Once all the necessities were out of the way, Scott – the Orchestra Guitarist and I headed out in search of something to do. We met Teresa, our oddball tour guide for the day who would yawn so loudly she sounded like a whale underwater. She took us to a beautiful black sand beach where the locals fished and relaxed in the surf. Next, we went to the local surf beach and watched as a surfing competition got underway. Gorgeous, tanned surf goddesses and gods lazed on the beach with their surfboards waiting for their friends to return from the waves so they could start their barbeque on the beach. The whole scene made me feel like I missed out on a certain lifestyle and that if I could go back to being 19 again, this is how I would live. Next, we went to the National Park & Waterfalls and explored the trails that led to the falls. Scott climbed over the rocks above the falls so he could look right over the rushing water. I was not so brave as I was picturing being hospitalized and uninsured. It was a great day, and Hilo is a place I would love to see more of and spend more time on.

In Honolulu, I took a surf lesson in Waikiki. I’ve been wanting to go for quite some time, but I’ve been wary. It turns out still enjoy it and have a refreshed enthusiasm for surfing since my last experience included being stung by a jellyfish, almost drowning and swallowing more sea water than a fish would be ok with. It was warm water, a hilarious (Rob Schneider-esque in 50 first dates) surf instructor, and the perfect waves for me. Small and easy. Finished the day off with Avocado rolls and Japenese tea. Perfect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home