From ship to shore

An account of a girl who lives on the high seas.

October 03, 2007

Too many days at sea for me

I am 5 days out to sea from Seattle, WA; somewhere in the Bering Sea, just along the coasts of a few of the Aleutian Islands. I left Vancouver on Friday, Sept. 21st with excitement and a nervous stomach. Oh, and far too much luggage. I have traveled around Europe and Brazil & Argentina with just a backpack and now I venture forth for 2 months and I must bring 17 formal-wear dresses, business attire galore and casual clothes suited for various climes and temps. The Air Canada Check-In Employee was very kind. He saved me 50 dollars (as both my bags were overweight) and then gave me a free Starbucks coffee (take that, airports around the world – perhaps they could learn a few things from Vancouver).

Enough about the little things. Actually, no – if you were expecting an exciting entry about fame, adventure and exotic ports, you’ve come to the wrong place today my friends. Alas I have literally spent the last 6 and a half days sailing into the great blue. We have sailed from Seattle, past Vancouver Island, the Queen Charlotte Islands and North to follow the Aleutian Islands and in one more day, we will finally drop anchor just outside of Petropavlovsk, Russia. I really have done nothing exciting. The events of the last few days have included doing more paperwork than I ever care to see again, setting up Culinary Schedules, hosting coffee chats (though, I do like that new addition to my job), socializing at cocktail parties. Many of the guests and also staff from the Prinsendam voyages are here as well, which makes it feel like I’ve already been here for months! It seems I’ve worked with a LOT of the crew on the Statendam and the Ryndam too. It was great to see Lucy, Kat and Adam again. A tonne of other people I’ve worked with before were added to the cruise at the last minute and was a great bonus. Also, lucky me – the hotel manager is wonderful! Starting out the voyage in a fabulous way ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home