From ship to shore

An account of a girl who lives on the high seas.

October 12, 2007

All in a days' work

I wake up around 7:30-8:00am…not too early, not too late. I get ready to face the public, walk the 3 minute commute from my A-Deck crew area room (below Deck 1, passenger area) to the Explorers’ Lounge. I then pour myself a cup of tea, have a freshly-baked-that-morning Chocolate chip cookie (my favorite, so how can I resist!) and chat with guests for a few minutes. I pick up the microphone to start the day and have a chat with about 100 of my closest friends. I’m my own floating talk show. I’ve interviewed Pianists, Russian opera stars, Oldtime Vegas show people, Broadway stars and various people working onboard that have behind-the-scenes stories that might be of interest. We have a good laugh for about 40 minutes and then I finish with my final question and pack it up. Onto the demos! At 11:15am, I’m either hosting a cooking show with the chef, teaching people to fold Origami cranes with the Bar Staff (and my friend Kat), or how to arrange Flowers with the florist. We might have wine and cheese for the suites at noon, greeting and socializing. Perhaps Sake tasting at 1:00pm, I’m to introduce our Sake Expert, drink Sake and eat shrimp chips. Funny, I’ve found I actually LIKE Sake. Apparently the stuff we have in Canada is made in the States and it’s no good! Lunch at 2:00 in the Lido, 3:30pm Tea socializing. 5:00pm Travel Group cocktail party mingling. (P.S. I haven’t had a chance, but usually 1200 others are keeping track of the cruise via cruisecritic.com) 7:15pm meet guests in the Atrium for cocktails before the Captains’ Pinnacle Grill dinner. Dinner is 7 courses and 2 ¾ hours long. Dance the first dance with the Captain to open the Black & White ball, forced to enjoy the open bar for officers! (I’m of officer status). Dance the night away, pull down the decorations at midnight and finally get some sleep. Yes, it’s a ridiculously amazing “job”. Above all, I get PAID to do it ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home