From ship to shore

An account of a girl who lives on the high seas.

March 08, 2007

When I almost came home…

Three days before coming back to Ft. Lauderdale to drop off this lot and pick up the next world wanderers for the 56 day cruise I was told I would be going home in Ft. Lauderdale, March 12th. I was called for a midnight meeting and it was said to me that the "certain people" wanted to send me home, he didn’t like the way I do my job and wanted me gone. This is a surprise to me, when I hear from the guests on a daily basis that they enjoy my demonstrations, get-togethers, greetings and so on. I was hoping his sobriety might help my case the next morning and I guess it did because I’m still here. We had a meeting about my job and I voiced the fact that I have had to wing everything I do because no one has worked with a Hostess and it’s been a job that they’ve only brought back for this cruise and the World Cruise on the Amsterdam. For me to know exactly what they want, they would have to show me and I would have to be trained by someone who knows what the job is and has seen it. As far as I can tell they were just making things up as we went along and adding commentary on what they didn’t like about me. Unfortunately for them, I had so many comment cards from the guests, it would be hard for them to let me go now without a proper explanation other than they don’t get my “Canadian” sense of humour, which is what I’ve chalked up their Dutch ways to. It seems funny that curmudgeonly Dutch men have an opinion when they’ve never seen any of the demos. Ah, the beauty of living on a small ship. It just gets smaller. However, I venture forth and still this is my favorite ship so far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home