From ship to shore

An account of a girl who lives on the high seas.

January 15, 2007

You say Ecuador I say Equator. Sometimes I say Equador...even




You might even say that I say spelling counts. Finally, here’s your chance to be the spelling inquisition. Mum, you’ll be pleased (or displeased. Or maybe a little from column a and b) to know that I’ve added Costa Rica, Panama, Ecuador and Peru to my list of places I’ve been. This itinerary is nice because we have overnights in many ports and they give us a chance to have more time actually seeing the place, as well as those of us who might miss the port due to IPM* (please see Captain Jacq’s Dictionary of Nautical terms). Docked in Manta, Ecuador and had some lunch with a few of the crew. The program admin. Assistant, Mike and I have a similar schedule, so we decided we had enough time to have a wee adventure. All I have to say is never go to Manta, Ecuador if you are looking for adventure. First, the cab driver took us to a beach when we said we’d like to see the town central and points of interest in Manta. We then specified to a cab driver that we’d like to see the history and culture, and the more scenic areas of Manta. He said he knew of a place where the people were friendly and they had horses. “Cool!”, we thought. The taxi driver then took us to an expensive resort, where they actually DIDN’T have horses anywhere, there was a pool but we weren’t allowed to go in it, and the people were definitely not friendly. We quickly left and explained to the driver that we were not looking for a restaurant or hotel, but to experience Ecuador in all it’s splendor. (Whatever that might mean). The driver then took us to another beach with a more picturesque setting, but really not much else to see or do. Thus, I love Manta.