From ship to shore

An account of a girl who lives on the high seas.

January 11, 2007

New year, new ship



New Year, New Ship


After 20 hours of traveling from Vancouver to Aruba, I found myself tired and not so ready to join the Prinsendam for my new position as Hostess. I was lucky to be put into a guest cabin, but it was right into work for me and after my whirlwind tour with Cruise Staff, Doug, I was ready to hit the hay. It would not be so. After well-meaning people badgered me with “welcome aboard” shots, I had to get gussied up for New Years’ Eve Black and Gold Ball. It was strange indeed to be joining a ship and meeting the entire crew during probably the biggest party of the year, and all in one fell swoop. It was also a good thing, because the people are very kind and friendly it seems on this ship, and I had a good evening. I did miss celebrating with everyone at home, but it is my first New Years abroad and why not do it in style?

Since we weren’t starting the Grand South America Voyage until January 5th, I spent the next five days getting to know the ship, the crew and my job responsibilities. The position does not have a detailed job description, so it’s partially up to me to figure out what those responsibilities are and partially up to a bunch of written notes from the girl who did it on the World Cruise years ago. So far it’s going well.

I was lucky enough to meet with the gang from the Ryndam while in Grand Cayman a few days ago. It’s funny when you work so closely with people, a day without seeing them seems like a week. One week at home and one week on the Prinsendam, made it feel like forever since I last saw everyone from the Ryndam. We were to meet in the San Blas Islands, Panama just yesterday again, but the Ryndam didn’t go into open tender until too late and from what I understand, there was no crew shore leave. So, it will be some time before I see those fancy folks again.

Today, we are cruising down the Panama Canal from the Northwest side to the Southeast. Confused? Take a look at the map of Panama and you’ll understand that coming from the Atlantic to the Pacific is actually Northwest-Southeast and vice-versa from Pacific to Atlantic. Yes, people I did have “Jacky’s Panama Canal Trivia” last time we were here…. Tonight we anchor in Amador, Panama and we have an overnight here then leave tomorrow evening for Equador. During the sea day, we will cross the equator and as many may know, this means the Neptune Ceremony. As it is my first time crossing the equator on a ship, I am a pollywog. It’s an initiation of sorts. Let’s just say I’m not exactly looking forward to “kissing the fish” and having various foods poured on me, after which, I’ll be thrown into the pool in front of 700 people. I’m also (oddly) kind of excited about the whole thing. So, I hope things are well at home and there is not too much snow on the ground so that everyone can make it to work safely. Just a note of interest: I don’t have to drive to work, I walk. Oh, and it’s 30 degrees outside with a nice breeze, just enough so as not to blow off my new Panama hat.

2 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

3 words... 883cm snow base... HAHA. How's that you sun-worshipper. Whistler is killing. Miss ya loads!

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger M&P said...

Hi Jacq-

We are well and we have learned to speak Javanese. So in the future we will address you by your Javanese name- Nimchukolo

The most distressing thing about reading your blog is that there is no way of knowing if you are abiding by your curfew (10:00 p.m.). Well, it looks like deep winter maybe finally over. We are experiencing our first day of sun in close to 16 months. So in honour of this occasion, we thought we would break out the lawn darts and horseshoes and go crazy (like old folks do).

Hope you are well & miss you lots!

Well little Nimchukolo, we bid you adieu and all of our love.

Lots of love,
M&P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home